Are you wondering what kind of dentist is the best option for your family? Read on to learn how to choose the right family dentist.
Whether your family is expanding, or you have just moved to a new city and are on the hunt for a new dentist, you may be wondering about how to choose a family dentist. Because they typically offer a broad range of services aimed at patients of all ages, a family dental practice may be the most convenient solution to provide dental treatment for all members of your family.
In this article, we look at what it means to be a family dentist, the benefits of selecting this type of dental care provider, and how to find the right one for your family. For more details about family dentist services, read our post, “Services Provided by Your Family Dentist.”
What is a family dentist?
Family dentists specialize in treating patients of all ages. They offer a long-term approach to dental care and will spend time educating their patients about dental health to help them maintain good dental health as their needs evolve.
Many family dental practices, like Tuxedo Dental Group, typically offer a varied range of services that can be applied to anyone in your family, from pediatric dentistry to orthodontics to periodontal treatment and beyond. This allows everyone in your household to visit the same dental office, which streamlines your time, scheduling, and efforts. Also, your children can continue visiting the same practice as they grow older, ensuring consistency in care and patient records. Should a complex issue arise, the dentists at Tuxedo Dental Group would offer you a referral to a trusted specialist.
How does a family dentist differ from a pediatric dentist?
Pediatric dentistry is a specialty that requires advanced training. After completing four years of dental school, pediatric dentists complete an additional multi-year residency to earn a specialized degree in providing oral health care to only infants, children, and adolescents. This usually includes training in youth dental anatomy as well as a foundational understanding of child psychology.
Pediatric dentists are well-positioned to treat pediatric patients with more complex dental or behavioural needs such as cleft palate, jaw deformities, or extreme dental anxiety. If your child has any special needs, the dentists at Tuxedo Dental Group will help establish a referral to a trusted pediatric dentist. If your child does not require specialized care, they can be seen at our facility, keeping the whole family together under one roof.
How to choose the right dentist for your family
Choosing a dentist for your family is a big decision, especially if your goal is to remain with the same practice long-term. Not only do you need to find a dental group that provides the full range of care required by your family, but your dentist should also come by recommendation and be conveniently located.
Here are some tips and considerations to help you choose the right dentist:
- Recommendations: A personal recommendation is always ideal, but failing this, ask your existing dentist, your doctor, neighbouring families or friends.
- Consider your needs: Your family’s unique dental requirements are a vital factor in choosing the right dental clinic. Does anyone require dental implant treatment, cosmetic procedures, or other treatments for all ages? Ask the clinic whether they can accommodate these needs.
- Book a consultation: A dental consultation is the best way to get to know a new dentist and their staff. Use this opportunity to ask questions about their practice and services, get a feel for the clinic and staff, and even familiarize young children with the setting, making the first appointment less scary.
- Office schedule: Make sure to check the available hours of the family dentists you are considering. Do they offer any early morning or weekend appointments? Do they stay open some evenings for after-work visits?
- Dental hygiene: You may want to inquire if a clinic offers a wide range of options for teeth cleaning and dental hygiene appointments. A robust dental hygiene program is an important aspect to consider for your overall oral health.
- Accessibility: A Clinic with a large parking lot is always convenient, as well as one that has an elevator for easy access.
- Online research: finally, for some it can help to look up profiles for local family dentists and dental practices, to get a sense of their particular background and approach. Reading reviews from patients may also help you find the best fit for your family’s needs.
While research is a good start, ultimately, you should trust your instincts when it comes to choosing a dentist. If you have any reservations, continue your search until you find a clinic that makes you feel comfortable. Your dental health is of the utmost importance, so it is essential to find a provider that you and your family can trust.
Benefits of seeing a family dentist
Because family dentists provide care to patients of all ages, one dental practice can often address the needs of your entire family. This way, your children can continue seeing the same dentist as they grow. Continuity of care will allow your dentist to become familiar with your family’s complete dental history, which will help to identify potential issues before they arise and make informed recommendations for care.
Treating patients of all ages and life stages means that family dentists are routinely exposed to a wide range of different dental problems. They can often anticipate potential issues that their patients might face during each life stage.
Being greeted by the same familiar faces each time you see the dentist reduces stress and anxiety because you know what to expect from each visit. Building a relationship with a dentist that you and your children trust can make the prospect of checkups less daunting. You may be more likely to stay on top of regular visits if going to the dentist doesn’t feel like a burden.
A family dentist is a practical way for you and your family to receive consistent dental care. Seeing the same dentist long-term often results in better care recommendations, comprehensive dental records, and reduced anxiety around appointments.
Depend on us for family care
If you are looking for a new family dentist in Winnipeg, Tuxedo Dental Group would love to meet you! Contact our office to set up a consultation.